Thursday, June 30, 2011

Authenticator Changes, Part II

Remember those changes Blizzard made to the authenticator system?  Remember when I wondered how long it would take my kids to figure out they didn't need my authenticator to log in anymore?

Well, it happened.

When I went home for lunch, I went to my computer to download something, which is not part of my normal lunchtime routine.  There on the screen was a Horde character waiting for an absent daughter to return.  As I had just activated play schedules for the girls' accounts, there was only one conclusion:  this was my account.

To say I wasn't happy with them would be an understatement.  After lecturing them on the fact they weren't supposed to be playing games before 2:00, anyway, I reminded them they weren't supposed to be logging on to my account at all.  And then I went to the Parental Controls on my account and made a play schedule, so they simply could not log in while I was gone.

In the unlikely event I try to log on during the daytime (i.e., I'm so incredibly sick that I simply cannot sit in my solitary office at work and must be at home, in which case I'd probably be sleeping, anyway . . .) I can always log back in to Parental Controls and change them.  But at least this way I KNOW those kids are not logged in to my account.  (Shame on them . . .)

Oh, perhaps I should mention my husband's reaction to hearing about the new authenticator changes. With a somewhat bemused smile, he said, "So now the hackers just have to know how to fake your IP address to access your account."

Really makes you feel secure, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment