Monday, February 28, 2011

Endangered Species

I am an Endangered Species--the Night Elf Druid.

In my raid, there are five--count 'em, five--Druids.  One is Feral, one is Balance, and three are Resto.  (We'd be delighted if we could find another Balance.)  Traditionally, we have enjoyed running Druid-heavy raids, so the fact we have five is not terribly unusual.  What is unusual is the distribution of the races.

Out of the five Druids in our raid, I am the only Night Elf.  Yep, the only one.  Last week, this worked to my advantage.

Our raid had just killed Valiona and Theralion in Bastion of Twilight, and our intrepid Feral was pulling the next trash back into the room.  Each of these opponents is a large creature with a big twirly weapon, so it makes sense to work with them where there is space to move around.

Someone goofed.  I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but it became obvious we were going to have to wipe on the trash.

When a wipe is called, healers are supposed to stop healing, and everyone runs to the nearest fire or other damaging effect, so we can quickly die, rez, and get on with the raid.  This time, I stopped healing, ran to the side, and hit Shadowmeld.  I knew that as long as I could get out of combat so the trash could reset, it was fine--I didn't have to actually die.  I waited and watched while the rest of the raid died, bit by bit, hoping nobody would get too close, but still expecting the mob to eventually figure out where I was and come after me, weapon swinging.

But this time, it didn't happen.  The rest of the raid came back to the instance and rezzed, while I watched the mob run back down the hall and reset.

I couldn't resist the urge to gloat just a little bit.  I typed in Officer chat, "Shadowmeld ftw!  I am the only Night Elf Druid, and I lived!"  Our friendly mage consultant typed back, "Sometimes it is an advantage to not be trendy."

Indeed so.

No comments:

Post a Comment