Thursday, December 17, 2009

To Tell or Not to Tell

Recently, a former raider from my guild applied to another guild. On the surface, this didn't seem like anything terribly disconcerting. He hadn't raided with us for a while, due to scheduling concerns, and he had apparently had some success in putting together PUGs, which is not a talent of mine.

To be honest, most of us in the raid wouldn't have wanted him back, even if he had applied to raid with us again, which is our normal policy for those who leave the raiding group and want to return. And if he had applied to any guild other than the one to which he applied, I would not have a single concern about it.

But the guild to which he applied is one which I respect greatly. The overall guild culture is congenial and decent, unlike several other guilds I could bring to mind. I've had nothing but positive experiences with the members there I have encountered in PUGs and so forth. And I don't want to see them have to deal with the troubles we had pertaining to this particular individual.

Part of me wants very much to whisper one of the guild leaders, to tell them the personality, skill, and integrity problems we had with this person. But I am not part of their guild, nor do I have any sort of relationship with the guild leaders. He going to their guild is not hurting mine. I have no foundation of credibility with that guild, and I think it would only serve to lessen me and my guild in the eyes of the other guild's leaders. And so I will keep silent, hoping that the leaders of that guild can read between the lines of his application and put two and two together.

I have usually followed the policy that people will reveal their true character if left to their own devices; they do not need any help from me. I think that this case is probably no different.

Postscript: It looks like the guild leaders really were able to read between the lines. This particular person remained unguilded for quite a while and has now apparently started his own guild.

No comments:

Post a Comment